SHALOM ISRAEL is a delightful collection of songs designed to be a companion to the book My Cousin Tamar Lives in Israel by Michelle Shapiro Abraham (URJ Press, 2007). The book joins a young boy and his cousin as they celebrate Jewish holidays and learn about Jewish life in Israel and North America. My Cousin Tamar Lives in Israel is an age-appropriate introduction to the similarities and the differences between two Jewish cultures.
The twenty songs on this CD bring to life many of the Jewish holiday customs that Tamar and her cousin practice, from hearing the shofar on Yom Kippur to eating delicious latkes and soufganiot at Chanukah time. These charming songs will help young children understand that Israel, the Jewish homeland, holds a special place in the hearts of Jews all over the world.
Many of the Jewish community's most beloved performers contributed tracks to this wonderful collection, including Peter and Ellen Allard, Craig Taubman, Ditza Zakay, Carol Boyd Leon, Eric Komar, Rabbi Joe Black, Judy Caplan Ginsburgh, Shira Kline, Cindy Paley, Kol B'Seder, Steve Brodsky, and Rick Recht.
1. MY COUSIN TAMAR LIVES IN ISRAEL Peter and Ellen Allard
2. BIG TRIP Craig Taubman
3. WHAT DO YOU LIKE ABOUT SHABBAT? Ditza
4. SHALOM, SHABBAT, SHALOM Carol Boyd Leon
5. SHOFAR BLAST Peter and Ellen Allard
6. WE ARE SORRY FOR THESE THINGS (THE CHILDRENíS AL CHEIT) Eric Komar
7. BUILD A SUKKAH Rabbi Joe Black
8. IN MY SUKKAH Judy Caplan Ginsburgh
9. SOUFGANIOT Rabbi Joe Black
10. LOTS OF LATKES Shira Kline
11. PURIM PARADE Peter and Ellen Allard
12. PURIM MASQUERADERS Cindy Paley
13. FROGS Shira Kline
14. LOTSA, LOTSA MATZA Shira Kline
15. TRAVELINí TO ERETZ YISRAEL Peter and Ellen Allard
16. COLORS IN MY WORLD Judy Caplan Ginsburgh
17. AT THE SHUK Peter and Ellen Allard
18. AF PEH OZEN Kol BíSeder
19. ISRAEL LIVES IN EVERY JEWISH HEART Steve Brodsky
20. SHALOM CHAVERIM Rick Recht